Saturday, December 4, 2010

Personal Learning Reflection

Over the course of CEP 810, I feel I have accomplished a great deal of professional growth. My learning was supported by:
  • a well designed system of instruction that included face-to-face class time
  • a generous smorgasbord of on-line tutorials and links to useful web-based resources
  • a classroom facility that adequately met the technology needs of the course
  • and an instructor who has the magical blend of content expertise and approachability that makes him a highly effective teacher.

Things I’ve learned in this class that I plan to implement immediately in the Middle School Technology courses I teach include:
  • use of Web 2.0 tools like Google Apps and Open Office ( I am especially stoked about the collaboration students can engage in using presentation software)
  • blogging
  • the importance of copyright and the existence and usefulness of Creative Commons
  • what RSS feeds are and how you can use them to set up your very own personal learning network.

One of the things I've learned about effective teaching strategies when integrating technology is that once students have been introduced to the basics of different technologies (e.g. word processors, spreadsheets, presentation programs) and the differences between them, you should give students choices as to what type of technology they decide to utilize for assignment completion. Another thing I’ve learned is that you don’t have to be an “expert” at using a technology in order to incorporate it in your classroom.  You can introduce it and then let students explore it and decide whether or not it is useful to them.  In this way, you can “open the floodgates” on learning!

Integrating the internet helped me think about and evaluate uses of technology.  I think one of the biggest effects it had on me, is that I realized I need to be using Web 2.0 technologies with my students NOW. The fact that the tools allow collaboration (in contrast to "stand alone" programs like Microsoft Word) is in and of itself enough reason to jump on this.  In addition to the collaborative capabilities they contain, Web 2.0 tools are also highly interactive with each other. This allows creativity to flourish because instead of technology imposing limits on what is possible, it actually continuously increases learning opportunities.

I think the RSS Feeds Reflection assignment that we did in CEP 810 really exemplifies good teaching with technology.  First, I was introduced to something very useful that was taking place on the internet that I knew nothing about.  Second, the RSS feeds represent just how dynamic the internet is and why it must be part of one's professional development.  Third, the assignment requires you to construct your own knowledge over time.  Sounds like lifelong learning to me!

One area I would have liked to learn more about and grow more in is in my expertise at using photo hosting sites like Flickr, Picaso, andPhotobucket.  I don’t have much prior knowledge in this subject.  Being such a novice makes me slow and cumbersome on the learning curve in this area, so time and lack of experience were my biggest hindrances to learning as much as I would have liked.  I also think the timing of where this topic falls in the pacing of the course made it difficult to spend much time on the suggested extra resources and links to websites.

I am very pleased to report that I feel I have met the goals I established for myself in the personal growth plan I submitted.  I now have a clear vision of what my students need to learn in my classes in order to be effective, efficient, and discriminating users of internet based resources.  I also feel that my technology skills have undergone the transformation they needed in order to help my students explore and navigate the Web 2.0 world. It makes me smile just writing that!

New goals I have for personal growth are to learn to use Prezi and also to choose one of the photo editing sites and visit it on a regular basis.  I plan to reach these goals by setting aside time each week to explore and try new things. I also plan to incorporate use of them in my lesson plans so my students will get to experience this learning too.  In addition to these immediate goals, I plan to complete MSU’s Educational Technology Certificate Program and then continue on with the Master’s Degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment